Saturday, June 18, 2005

Here's an entry from a random blog I saw:
"My friend Rachel came over last night for help on her scrapbooking. I didn't know how to help how she wanted help. I have no problem making design and product suggestions, but she wanted her pages to come out looking like mine. I wasn't doing the work, she was. That doesn't work very well.
I did give her some suggestions and I sat next to her for most of the time that she was working. The mood was pretty mellow. She probably thought I was bored or annoyed. I wasnt. Yesterday was a long day and I was tired.
Jen and Steve stopped by with the kids and I came alive. I was laughing and talking and teasing the kids. I didn't mean for my mood to be so 'night and day' like that. I really hope Rachel doesn't think anything of it.
I'll have to give her extra attention at work today...."


What?? What?? People like this should get a lobotomy! "I'll have to give her extra attention at work today"?? As if you're that important!

So I just was reading other people's blogs, and it struck me that lots of people are really self-centered. Like literally self-centered, completely lacking empathy, and that everyone else is just a little less capable than them. Hey, we're all egocentric; that's sort of what defines humans. But when grownups don't mature beyond a 4-year-old child's mentality when it comes to empathy, that just is not good. Not good at all.

No comments: