Sheesh! I took the day off today thinking I would be recoving from too much corned beef and cabbage, but instead I spent the whole day up until now running around like a long-tail cat in a room full of rockers. ?? I had to do an expedited transcript, no big deal. I typed it all out yesterday, so all that was left for me to do was print it. Well, when I hit Cntl+P, nothing happened. So I waited... and I tried again. The printer info window said that the document printed with no errors, only nothing was coming out of my printer. I really don't know how computers and the like work, so I had no idea what the problem was. The guy that wanted the transcript was showing up in two hours at our house, and I couldn't print!
So I remained calm. I figured I'd just email the file to my mom and drive out there to print it. Well, my outdated laptop doesn't have internet access, and I left the external disk drive in Lowell. (Yes, the computer doesn't have an internal disk drive.) Soooo... I would just call the guy that wants the transcript, tell him I need a few more hours. But then I couldn't find my PDA, and his phone number was on it! So now I'm like, what the --??? Luckily, after freaking out for about 20 minutes and trying to remember where my PDA was, I found it in my coat pocket. I called the guy, got some more time.
But now what to do? I figured I need to get the file onto a disk and print it out somewhere else. Staples, maybe? So I go there and ask if they can print WordPerfect documents. The girl didn't think they could... so I bought a $60 disk drive anyway, hoping it would come in handy along the way.
Then, genius struck. Dennis can help me! Hopefully! So I drive to Alpha Graphics, print shop of the future, and explain my situation. Everyone was in awe of my laptop with Windows 95 and WordPerfect 10. It's old! So after some borrowing of his disk drive, some downloading of driver software, some trial-and-error attempts to open the file in another format, Dennis says we should save the files as PDFs and they'll print. And they did! I was so excited. Dennis and Erik, you're my heroes. Thank you guys.
Now I'm still waiting for the guy to call me back so I can give him his damn transcript that wasn't worth my time to prepare. Doh!
Friday, March 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Don't forget Paul! It was Paul's idea to load Acrobat on your ancient lappie. Erik did most of the work, for sure, but it wouldn't have been done at all without Paul's quick thinking.
Post a Comment