Saturday, March 24, 2007

Stuff, and such and stuff, and new mattresses.

I got the job, I start on April 30th.

Methinks that Jay and I will try to go on a post-official-court-reporter/pre-training-and-certification-manager road trip down south aways.

(For some reason, when I reread "south aways," I thought it said "southwest" in the sense of Southwest Airlines, so then I thought we were flying south...?)

I'm realizing more and more that Jay and I operate on a strange mental level, and we're possibly both quite insane, but still able to function somewhat, and it confuses me.

We bought a new mattress today. Our old mattress ::sing-songy, in a high-pitched tone:: buh-LOWWWWS. oh yes it DOESSSS. So we went to Bernie & Phyl's, Moe's (not a furniture store, but a delicious burrito place - or rather, a place that has delicious burritos), Mattress Giant, Mattress Discounters, Sleepy's, and finally, Jordan's.

The people at B&P's were nice and low-pressure kind of peeps.

Moe's was delicious, as always.

Mattress Giant was gross - not a lot of selection, prices on the high end, and the salesman was walking the fine line between obesity and morbid obesity (which is fine in and of itself), but had his fly open the whole time (puts the obese thing in a different light), and as we walked out of the store, he pulled the 'desperate salesman' cry for help: "Is there anything I can do to make you guys buy now??"

Mattress Discounters was much nicer - the salesman had all his buttons buttoned and his zippers zipped, and had a few comfy beds.

Sleepy's was a fun experience. The salesman was probably younger than us, dressed in a suit, and was like, "I dunno, that one's pretty cool, but do what you like. Oh, by the way, I guess I forgot to tell you, like, that's one's half off until, uh, tomorrow..." Then the pizza guy came and delivered the kid's lunch: buffalo chicken pizza. He offered us a slice. I almost accepted. It smelled really good.

Finally, Jordan's. You can't go to Jordan's without experiencing Kelly's Roast Beef and Seafood. The fellow customers are the best part. I saw a guy with a black t-shirt with the word "motherfu#@er" on it. (I'm even too ashamed to type it!) I passively-aggressively gave him a dirty look behind his back. Motherfu#@er. We watched the cute fishies in the cylindrical fish tank as we waited (and waited and waited) for our food. We got a frappe (is that term a New England thing?) and some onion rings as I filled out a health survey created by the FSC sociology department. I wrote that I love fried food and ice cream frappes. We went to the mattress room, a very nice saleswoman -- I mean, "sleep technician" (and yes, they do have lab coats on, because I'm sure they're very, very involved in highly scientific, um, sales of mattresses) came up to us, showed us a few beds.

We decided on a very comfy one from Jordan's. I think it's a Simmons. Good price, free delivery (which wasn't so with the other places), 60-day exchange policy, 10-year nonprorated warranty, queen size (a bit bigger than what we have now [a full]), mmmmm, what else? It has a pillowtop. (M m m m m, p i l l o w t o p) So it's all good, good stuff. My hips and shoulders will be very, very thankful come Friday night.

That was supposed to be a much, much shorter post, but you know what? I get carried away. By balloons. And Leprechauns wave at me as I float away. (That was a dream I had when I was a kid.)

1 comment:

Kate said...

Hey Congratulations on the job! And the mattress!

Hope you come by our neck of the woods when you head south aways!