Friday, January 12, 2007

Update, and rant about restaurants

My first post of the new year! I actually wrote half a long post recapping 2006, but I got bored or distracted or something, so I never finished it. I think I was trying to put pictures in with it, but all the pics I reviewed for the first few months had nothing to do with what I'd written already, so I sort of gave up. I do have it saved as a draft, however, so maybe in June or July I'll revive it, finish it, and post it. Who knows? We're just crazy like that, y'know?

Jay has been busy with preparing his applications to grad school since he left his job. Just yesterday, he put the final touches on his portfolio and other paperwork, and just last night, we sent out a little package to Mass Art! He's applying to the Dynamic Media Institute there. Next week he'll finish up packing up stuff for RISD and will send it off. I'm so proud of him for all his hard work and following through with applying - next step is waiting till we hear back. Thanks to Matt for helping him with the cross-platform and other computer stuff!

We've had a few disappointing restaurant experiences lately. First notable one: Bella Boston in Logan Airport. I know it's an airport bar, but my GOODNESS it was horrible. Just horrible. Jay and I brought Cuddy to the airport when she was headed back to Chicago. I won't get into it too much, but everything was really expensive, the beer was gross, the food was subpar (Jay's was super greasefest galore), the service was terrible... but the real crowning moment was when the waitress brought over extra plates for Cuddy & I to split a burger. She brought over two black styrofoam plates (styrofoam? please), one on top of the other. I picked up the top one and began to put some food on it; Jay goes, "Did you ask for that?" and pointed to the bottom plate, which had what looked like old sour cream and chunks of salsa on it. I don't get grossed out very easily, but that was gross! Where the hell did she actually take those plates from? Seriously! I can only surmise she literally picked them out of the trash and put them on our table. ::shudders::

And last night we went to Acapulco's on Route 9 in Framingham, which used to be great, then was okay, and last night's experience makes it now bad in my eyes. We got the very first booth, which initially we thought was cool - we weren't surrounded by lots of people and it was nice and quiet. Well, it wasn't cool; it was about 90 degrees for some reason. Whew. We ordered drinks & food, which both came quickly. Margarita - okay, but a little too much sour mix. Food - eh, it was okay, but even though the plate was about 2,000 degrees, the food was barely warm. After our waitress took our order, that was the last time we saw her for literally 45 minutes. Some other person brought our food out, and there was a busgirl hovering nearby like a vulture, or buzzard, even, who stopped by our table twice; the waitress never came back to do the customary "how is everything?" check-in, and never came back to offer us another beverage after our margaritas were gone. Hmph. Even after our food was done and the vulture -- I mean busgirl cleared our plates, we sat and waited for an uncomfortable amount of time before she ever came back to offer us dessert or coffee, or maybe another drink. In the intervening 20 minutes, Jay and I decided we'd have a beer; then decided we'd just leave because it was 90 degrees and our waitress was never coming back. Even after we asked for the check, she didn't come back for 15 more minutes!

Sorry. I ranted. I'm not a very demanding person, I don't think, and I don't have super fancy tastes and ridiculously high expectations for dining out; I just would like an average night out with average service and average food. If the waitperson smiles, that's even better; if the beer's especially delicious, bonus points. I just get a little upset when the experience is just ridiculously bad, I guess...

So that's what we've been up to!

No comments: