Sunday, January 14, 2007

That's it! No more!

Well, we've experienced the trifecta (sp?) of bad restaurant experiences. The nail in the coffin. The straw that broke the camel's back. I don't really know what that all means or if it makes any sense... but we've decided to just not eat out at restaurants anymore. And it's not because we're trying to save money or eat healthier or anything; it's simply because we've been continuously disappointed lately when we've gone out to eat. Seriously, seriously disappointed. Bella Boston in Logan Airport - well, you might have read the post regarding that experience a few posts back; Acapulco's - you also read about that in the same post; and yesterday we went up to the Lowell area to see Coleman (Jay's older bro's kid - hence, my nephew, right?) play in a basketball game, and then the Bailey fam went out to the Lowell brewery for some late lunch. The beer was pretty good, but again, the service was horrible and the food (my food, at least) was very bad. I feel like a bee-yotch when I get upset and complain about my dining experiences, but man, if you're going to pay money and leave a nice tip, is it too much to ask that the waitstaff, oh, does their job? and that the cooks do their job by making food taste okay?

The answer apparently is: Yes, it is too much to ask! So I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!!

Today Jay and I decided we are not going out to restaurants anymore (except John Harvard's, were we will only drink beer and eat the hummus platter; Prezo in Milford, where we will only go once in a great while for a treat; and The Publick House in Brookline, where we will only drink beer and stick to the food we know we like). I am going to make a concerted effort to be a better cook and be more prepared to have home-cooked food every night, and for each meal on the weekends (except maybe for going to the new bakery for a cherry turnover).

We took a $150 trip to Market Basket today, and when we got home, I cooked up a batch of chili and served it with baked potatoes for lunch, and I also prepared a batch of roasted vegetable and chile salsa, which goes really well with enchiladas, and can probably be used with other stuff, too. So that was Day 1 of boycotting dining establishments, and now I'm tired! Cooking for four hours makes you kind of exhausted. I actually forgot to eat any of it yet, so now I'm getting nauseous and dizzy, so I think I'll go heat up some chili and have bread with it. And yes, I will check to see how my meal is going after I serve it to myself, and I will offer myself a refill on my beverage when I notice it's empty. Man, good food and good service! If only I could leave myself a tip!

No comments: