Wednesday, September 27, 2006

First class

Thanks, Kate, for your comments on my previous post - it made me feel better that I'm not the only person who gets overwhelmed by daily things.

Anyway, on Monday I had my first Basic Gardening and Landscaping class at Assabet Tech. It was three hours long, and will be going on every Monday for the next 6 or so weeks. I get the feeling that it's not quite basic gardening and landscaping, per se, as the teacher began to discuss more intermediate-level gardening, like, oh, I don't know, already having an established garden full of peonies and azaleas (I don't even know if I'm spelling those correctly, and I'm too lazy to look it up) and other such plants, shrubs, and trees. And, you know, I don't have an established garden. I don't even know what the bushes in front of the house are called. Okay, I know what rhododendrens are (again, spelling?), and I know what peonies are, and I know what lilacs are, but only 1/3 of those plants are actually growing on our property. The teacher went over lots of other things that were a little advanced for me, like how to kill moles and chipmunks and different insects, and how to deal with different fungi and diseases on plants. Again I reiterate, Step A for me would be to actually HAVE a garden that moles and chipmunks and different insects and different fungi and diseases could actually attack.

So I was a little discouraged, because everyone else in the class seems to have good base-level knowledge about gardening, whereas I really don't, which is why I signed up for basic gardening and landscaping. I guess I'll just see where it goes, and maybe I'll have to supplement the intermediate knowledge I gain with some basic stuff later on.

Strangely enough, the class is being taught by a guy who's been working at Weston Nurseries for 35 or so years, and I found out recently that my dad knows him. I guess my dad worked at Weston Nurseries way back in the day (way, way back). I asked the teacher if he remembered my dad, and he replied, "Oh, sure. I went to his wedding." I said, "Oh. I... didn't." Because what can you really say to that? He also asked me if my uncle was still dancing. I replied with a laugh, "Umm, I don't know which uncle you're talking about, because my dad has lots of brothers." I for some reason assumed he was talking about some drunken uncle of mine who was dancing like a madman at my parents' wedding (a reasonable assumption given my dad's 11 siblings), which is the reason for my ignorant reply. Oh, no, he was talking about my uncle who is a professional ballet dancer. I felt silly. The teacher knows more about my family than I do.

This weekend my parents are having a party for my nephew's first birthday. Yay, Mason! I have no idea what to get him. I'm thinking some Ford stock. It's bound to go up, right? Right? (?)

2 comments:

Patrick said...

poor Ford stock, it's it rough shape (although, not as rough as it was at the start of 2006).

My grandfather worked for Ford for 50 years! He was smart enough to get rid of most of his stock though, knowing that things were in rough shape.

I really want to drive a Ford for my primary car, but they just don't have anything I feel the need to own, besides a mustang (which isn't practical really).

If you follow the classic "buy low sell high" thinking, Ford is the way to go, or GM even. But it could also be "buy low, lose all your money". Tough call. The trick is to travel back to 1980 and buy like 100 shares of microsoft stock. You'd be rich!

Erin said...

Theoretical physicists say that traveling back in time is not possible. You can travel to the future, though. I guess that would only let you know more quickly if Ford stock bombed or went sky high. But then you couldn't go back to the time you came from, so you'd just be stuck in a strange time with no friends, unless you were good at making friends. ...my head hurts...