So, I've been thinking. I don't know about anybody else, but sometimes I just have a tough time navigating daily life. I think to myself, Does anyone else find these things as incredibly confusing and difficult as I do? They're not big things, like marriage or mortgage payments or any other large-scale life issue; they're little things, like the drain on our tub always getting clogged, keeping up with laundry, trying to get car repairs taken care of, keeping old food from piling up in the fridge, etc., etc.
So here's some questions I have for people who have it together:
- how many times a day do I need to do laundry to be at a point where I feel like I'm doing an adequate job with keeping up with it?
- do other people's tubs get clogged as much as ours? do I have a uniquely pipe-clogging-type of hair? do other people use as much Draino as we do?
- do other people have as many lonely, single, matchless socks as we do?
- do other people really keep up with filing important things? really? like, do they really have their tax records from 5 years ago? really?
If I keep going, I'll start asking really weird questions, and you'll probably think bad things about me... but these are the little daily things that get to me most every day, and it's tough to find the happy medium between letting those things run my life and keeping them in check to a reasonable, yet non-obssessive degree.
Anyway, I feel a bit better! I know I haven't posted in a while, mainly because I've been navigating daily life precariously. But y'know, stuff's been happening. Last weekend Jay and I drove up to Vermont to spend the weekend at my bro-in-law's family's 'cottage' (really a four-bedroom, two-story log cabin on a beautiful lake). It was a beautiful weekend at a beautiful place. And today we were on our way to go apple picking, but we saw a sign on 495 that said "Bolton Fair, Sept. 23 and 24," so we decided to take a detour. What a crazy, crazy fair. It was a strange day, anyway, with rain showers here and there scattered between the 80-something-degree heat and strong winds, and then you take that and add on a huge parking lot in a mudfield where the parking attendants (Boy Scouts) keep yelling at you to keep driving or else you'll sink, and strollers that hold 4 screaming kids all around you, and 40-year-old men that get too close to angry cows and keep doing it, and a trapeze artist hanging from ropes in the middle of a field, and you have an ADD nightmare!
But we're back home now, and Jay cleaned the kitchen 'cuz he's sweet, and I did some laundry, and now I'm just going to relax and get ready for another week at work. Phew. Life, huh?
Sunday, September 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think we all feel like that, or at least I do and I know other people in my family do too.
At our old apartment after a few years we were using a lot of draino. I think maybe it took a long time to build up and then the draino would just make the problem better for a little while and never really solve the problem completely. Thats my theory anyway, with absolutely no knowledge of plumbing.
I do have my taxes from five years ago. My method is to make a huge pile near the filing cabinet and then after a really long time, sit down and go through it all. Plus I have trouble throwing stuff away, so I am sure I have lots of unimportant things from 5 years ago too.
Post a Comment