It's just so sad to see and hear all the horrible things resulting from the hurricane down south. Here I am worrying about what the weather's going to be like for the wedding, and down south there's coffins being washed up onto shorelines, and people not being able to eat or drink or even go to the bathroom, and looting, and families who can't find their loved ones, and all that horrible stuff... It's weird to think that something like this could happen in the good ol' US of A. We think we're so immune to disasters of any kind, and this whole thing is just completely surreal.
What's the saddest thing is that my first thoughts were, "Jeez, those people should have just left!" when they knew a horrible storm was coming, but I was ignorant enough to not know that some people just didn't have the means, the money, the transportation to get out. All the federal relief organizations should focus their funds on actual evacuation and getting the poor and elderly and needy and their families out rather than supporting people in the aftermath, because at least then there wouldn't be so many casualties. It's just crazy.
That's my comments on the whole thing. Sorry to bring the party down... but it really is very sad.
Wednesday, August 31, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The decision to evacuate is profound, and personal I'm sure. Never having had to, I'm not sure how I'd handle it. Logic dictates its the best course of action, but we are a society attached to its places and things.... and a frequent belief that everything will be ok.
What's happening in the south is truly tragic, a reminder that we are nature's bitch. I hope good things come out of it, like better disaster planning, better building codes, and stronger community efforts.
And, after paying about 3 bucks for a gallon of liquid dinosaur today, I hope it sends a sharp reminder message to the powers-that-be that our fuel infestructure is weak, at best, and needs to be examined and re-worked. One storm should not equate the doubling of fuel prices.
Post a Comment